At least 20 people have been killed and more than 100 injured in a mass shooting at an open-air country music festival in Las Vegas.
Terror spread through the city’s famous strip as a gunman launched an attack from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino, with prolonged automatic gunfire towards concert-goers.
Police confirmed the suspect – described as a local resident – had been shot and killed by officers. The Las Vegas sheriff said officers were seeking a female companion as a “person of interest”. The attacker’s motive is unknown.
Thousands of people dived for cover as hundreds of shots rained down on the crowd during the Route 91 Harvest Festival at about 10.20pm on Sunday local time (6.20am Monday BST).
Witnesses earlier claimed the attack involved “two or three” gunmen and there were were reports of other incidents at different locations. But police said they believe the dead suspect acted alone.
“We have in excess of 100-plus injured and excess of 20-plus that have died at this point,” Las Vegas Metro Police Sheriff Joseph Lombardo told a press conference, adding that off-duty police officers are among the dead.
The shooting came towards the end of the three-day Route 91 Harvest Festival while Jason Aldean, the American country music singer, was on stage.
Mr Aldean posted on Instagram that he and his crew are safe, as he said: “My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved.”