Spain attacks: Italian man died in front of wife and children in Las Ramblas

First named victims of the Las Ramblas attack are Italian man Bruno Gulotta and Belgian woman Elke Vanbockrijck

Bruno Gulotta, who died in the terror attack on Las Ramblas on Thursday. Photograph: Tom’s Hardware Legnano

An Italian man was holding the hand of his five-year-old son moments before he was killed in the terror attack in Las Ramblas, it has emerged.

Bruno Gulotta, 35, was named on Friday as one of 13 people who died when a van ploughed into crowds on the boulevard in Barcelona. Another person injured in a separate attack in the Catalan seaside town of Cambrils was also confirmed dead on Friday morning.

Gulotta died on the street in front of his five-year-old son Alessandro and wife Martina, Italian media reported.

Martina, who was carrying their one-year-old daughter, Aria, in a sling-style baby carrier, told friends that she had pulled Alessandro to safety at the last moment.

The family, from Legnano, near Milan, were on holiday in the Catalan city.



Gulotta worked in sales and marketing for computer company Tom’s Hardware. The company said his violent death had left his wife facing “trials no-one should have to bear”.

“We put ourselves in the shoes of little Alessandro, who is about to start elementary school knowing his and his family’s life will never be the same again. And we think of baby Aria … who will never know her dad,” his colleagues said in a statement.

An emergency services spokesman said 130 people were injured in the two attacks, 17 of whom are in a critical condition with another 30 in a serious condition.

The nationalities of the dead and injured testify to Barcelona’s popularity as a global tourist destination. The came from at least 34 different countries, including Australia, Britain, Belgium, China, Colombia, France, Germany, Honduras, Morocco, Pakistan and the United States, according to Catalan authorities.

Another Italian, 25-year-old Luca Russo, died in Las Ramblas. Russo, from Marostica, a town in the northern Veneto region, graduated last year in engineering and had just started his first job.

He was on holiday with his girlfriend, Marta Scomazzon, who is among three injured Italians, having suffered fractures in the attack.

Scomazzon, whose parents have travelled to Barcelona to be with her, told the Italian news agency Ansa: “We were walking together and then the van hit us.

“I fell and realised that Luca wasn’t there any more, I didn’t see him again, his body was swept away.”

Russo’s sister Chiara posted images on Facebook of her smiling brother, alongside those of his body lying on the ground in Barcelona.

“Help to bring him home,” I beg you, she wrote.

“Italy will remember Bruno Gulotta and Luca Russo and expresses its solidarity with their families,” the prime minister, Paolo Gentiloni, said in a tweet. “Freedom will triumph over barbarism and terrorism.”

Also among the dead was Elke Vanbockrijck, 44, a Belgian on holiday with her husband and two sons.

Vanbockrijck regularly ferried her sons, 10 and 14, to football practice at KFC Heur Tongeren. A statement from the club said: “She was often at the club, and was committed to our club. We will always remember her as a happy woman, a caring mother and loving wife. Elke will be missed.”

The first named Spanish victim was Francisco López Rodríguez, 60, originally from Granada. He had been walking along La Rambla with his wife, who is believed to be seriously injured. Three Spanish citizens have been killed, according to El País.

The youngest victim of the attacks was thought to be a three-year-old girl, who died shortly after being taken to hospital. A six-year-old girl was taken to hospital with a cerebral haemorrhage, an official at Vall d’Hebron University hospital told the New York Times. Her nationality was not known.

Others are searching frantically for loved ones. Seven-year-old Julian Alessandro Cadman, a British-Australian dual national, is missing after he became separated from his mother, Jom, during the chaos. Tony Cadman said Jom, his daughter-in-law, was in a serious but stable condition in hospital.

The family is appealing for information on Facebook. “Missing in Barcelona,” reads a Facebook message posted by Tony Cadman, asking users to share a picture of Julian, who is pictured smiling and wearing a green jumper with the name of his nursery.

Heidi Nunes, from California, has not seen her husband since Thursday afternoon when they became separated in Las Ramblas. Jared Tucker, 42, from Walnut Creek, California, left his wife for a moment, shortly before the attack started. The couple, on a grand tour of Europe to celebrate their first wedding anniversary, had been enjoying drinks on a pavement cafe.

“Next thing I know there’s screaming, yelling,” Nunes, 40, told NBC News. “I got pushed inside the souvenir kiosk and stayed there hiding while everybody kept running by screaming.”

The US state department said at least one American had been killed and one injured. It identified neither.

A Portuguese woman, aged 73 or 74, was also killed, the country’s main news agency reported.

France has confirmed that 26 of its citizens were injured, with 11 in a serious condition. Three Dutch nationals were also injured.

The UK Foreign Office said it was assisting a “small number” of injured Britons,and a Greek diplomat reported three of its nationals had been wounded: a woman and her two children. China said two people from Taiwan were being treated for severe injuries, and confirmed that a person from Hong Kong had minor injuries.

Australia’s foreign minister, Julie Bishop, said four Australians had been hurt – two women in a serious but stable condition, and two men who were “directly affected” and had gone back to their hotel to seek medical attention.

Throughout the night on Thursday there were urgent appeals on social media for English, Italian and French translators to go to hospitals and clinics to help medical staff attending to dozens of non-Spanish speaking victims.

A man originally from the Philippines and resident in Ireland, who was on holiday with his wife and two children, was hit on his side but his injuries were not life-threatening, Emmanuel Fernandez, the consul general of the Philippines embassy in Madrid, told the Irish broadcaster RTÉ.

Read More

Source By theguardian.com

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • 1
  •  
  •  
  •  
    1
    Share

Related posts